Donnerstag, Januar 27, 2011

Who is behind this thing?


I had been pointed into the direction of this virtuell Moth Sailor by Magnus Wheatley, the handgranade journalist, see also link on the right side. Visiting the site, which Magnus also mentioned in his blog post which has an entry I would call: Virtuell Moth Sailor I am a little puzzled. This guy or girl must know a lot about sailing, hanggliding and such. Smells a bit like SP, hiding behind a different personality. Beside the Moth sailing on a very, very high level, I have read that he has a similar boat as described in one of the "noodleqt" posts, going cruising. Or could it be KK? She knows a thing or two about sailing. She is one of the gifted writers and story tellers like the gentleman mentioned before, as well. And does the sailing club not look a bit like the HISC? Never been there but seen photos. But it could also be someone from the Isle of Wight, who dreams about Moth sailing and who is or had been a hangglider pilot as well. The Deeg? Or one who sold me his "Magic MKIII" after teaching me the finer points of watching the clouds for thermal winds after a lot of "looking at the green barn" during the first lessons on the IoW. Feel free to guess who is behind the "noodles" personality.

Anyway, great stories to read after an evening of working on my DN runners which had an alignment problem. And one of the 440C runners had a notch which took some time to smooth on the belt sander. All this work because the Danish DN friends are calling for a regatta in Roskilde on the weekend. Haven´t done much sailing so far due to other commitments.

On the Moth side there is some planning for the Moth Fest and some training before at the Pro-Vela in April. Flights are being booked and everything else will fall into place, I am sure. It really is the first of many, many DN winters where I could live without ice sailing and instead going foiling with the Moth. Sailing on soft water has never been so exiting for me.

Spend the last two days at the "boot" in Düsseldorf. Haven´t seen a Moth there, instead I had met someone from real life in the seventieth. A gentleman who had sailed Flying Dutchman in some of the events where I also took part. Great stories to exchange about the Worlds in Weymouth ´74, about Travemünde and about Kieler Woche. Does anyone today believe that Rodney Pattison came to Kiel with a Morgan+8 towing his FD behind? John Mellow and I had witnessed it. He is now producing really nice sculptures in stainless steel. Some had been donated at the TP52 Audi Med Cup. I immediately ordered two "Moth Sculptures" to donate during two Moth events coming season. Hopefully they will help increasing participation in the planned Northern Europe Moth Circuit, where we expect sailors to participate from Sweden, Denmark and Germany at three events. one in each country. Of course Moth sailors from other countries are also invited to come. More news and maybe a flyer later on the IMCA site.

Anyone interested in composites or boatbuilding in generell should visit my companies new Facebook site at CTM Facebook and become a supporter. This will enable you to receive composite news or special offers on carbon and other materials.

11 Kommentare:

Tillerman hat gesagt…

Who is Noodle? Who is she?

Anonym hat gesagt…

Manfred,

SP würde NIEMALS mit einer AUS Segelnummer rumfahren. :-)

Gruß
Burkh

Fred hat gesagt…

Yes, Tillerman, the search is on. We are only 9 hours into the search and we will not give up... As you have a BIG audience may I ask you to help?

PS: I think it is a man hiding behind the look of a super model. Maybe a lonesome rider wishing his girlfriend to be like Noodle.

Fred hat gesagt…
Dieser Kommentar wurde vom Autor entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…

This noodlesomething is deffo not the creator of the SecondLife - Moth: i.e. read here: http://www.slsailing.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5644&p=26806&hilit=moth#p26806

I am quite sure you will not find that real life person that is hiding behind it :)

Tillerman hat gesagt…

It's a mystery. I've been looking for clues in the blog posts. Spelling is a bit random, which suggests it might be someone whose native language is not English.

In one blog post she mentions she can sail to a museum of modern art in real life? I wonder where that is.

She also left a comment on my blog in the early hours of the morning (east coast US) which suggest she is probably not in US, more likely in Europe, or perhaps Australia. She also uses "whilst" which no American would do, much more common in England.

I've also been looking through Moth results and that sail number used to belong to an Italian Raimondo Tonelli (though with ITA national letters of course.) How do Moth sail numbers work? Do they go by person or with the boat?

Tillerman hat gesagt…

OK, I have another theory. I think Noodle is a top Danish match racer.

Reasons
1. She has a link to the World Match Race tour.
2. She talks about her real life experience including the Yngling, the X-99 and the DS37.(Does anyone outside Denmark sail DS37s?)
3. One of her post headings says "spottet" instead of "spotted". I think that "et" ending is common for the past participle in Danish.

I tend to agree with you that she is probably male too.

Fred hat gesagt…

Wow, just back from a DN regatta in Denmark and some great tips here. Great analysis of given facts (the language, the time) Tillerman. Getting back into the theme my theory for tonight had been Alan from the Pro-Vela in Spain. He is an Englishman with all the knowledge but than as Tillerman suggests, I have never heart him talking about the Danish boats mentioned above. He know more abt, the SB3, Extreme 40s and such. Yes, back to start.

Tillerman hat gesagt…

More support to my theory that Noodle is Danish. She mentioned in one post about being able to sail to a Museum of Modern Art in real life at home. The Arken Museum of Modern Art in Copenhagen is right on the water!

Fred hat gesagt…

Only had the time to read all about the Noodle today, having a day off. Yes, Tillerman, you are definitely on to something right. I will start investigating through my Danish Sailor friends.

Mmmh, just read again the "About this blog" and the last paragraph. Should not be that difficult for some insiders in Denmark to unveil the personality behind the SL character but I am getting my doubts if this is the right thing to do. Have been stalked myself and had real life problems. Though this is on a different level and I have no clue about this second life thing, but anyone has the right to stay anonymous if he chooses. It will be more fun to read about the Noodle if he/she keeps at least a little bit of a secret to his/her real life personality. Isn´t it enough to know that he/she likes to party, to dance in Dooksides as most of us would do?

Thanks for sharing this adventure.

Tillerman hat gesagt…

I agree Fred. I don't think we should name Noodle. She has left enough clues but if she wants to keep her real name secret we should respect her choice.