Mittwoch, November 21, 2007

Look Mama, it starts freezing

It is the iceboating which started me blogging nearly two years ago. And I started my blog with a beautiful picture from Lake Rescia. (see December 2005) Much has happened in the meantime but nothing gets me as excited, as black ice in the beginning of the season.

Yesterday I got a message from one of my DN buddies from the South of Germany. He had been looking up some Webcams and found the first frozen lake. Beautiful black ice on the Haidersee in the North of Italy. Man, had I been nervous. My DN gear is not prepared yet and the Bavarians want to go practicing on the small lake over the weekend. They want the(ir) title back. I am the current Bavarian Champion and I should at least defend the title which hasen´t been possible the last two season due to lack of ice or wind. To come and defend is only fair and sportsmanlike. A pity that I did not know about blogging when I won the Championship on Lake Rescia (Reschensee). It had been a memorable series with strong wind and black ice. I think I wetted my pants on the downwind during the first race but after that, I had been really fast and unbeatable. Lake Rescia is a beautiful lake in the triangle of Austria, Switzerland and Italy. Skiing is also an option as the lake is at 1400m above sea level and it is not far to reach the glacier or snow covered ski areas by lift.

The lake has normally some thermal wind around 14-18kn but it seems that the wind does not have as much pressure as it would have on sea level. Some people talk about less molecule in the air up high. Anyone out there who can share some light on this?

1 Kommentar:

Tillerman hat gesagt…

I didn't know you were an ice sailing god. Congrats.

As for the question about wind speed and altitude I'm no expert but it seems logical to me that at higher altitudes in less dense air, the force generated by a wind of a given speed must be less...

BUT, and it's big BUT, how are you measuring the wind speed? If you are using any kind of mechanical device to measure the wind speed it's going to "feel" the change in force/momemtum/pressure just as much as your sails do. So if the wind meter says it's 14 knots at 1400m high then I think your sail will feel the same pressure as it would in 14 knots at sea level. but the "real" wind speed may be more.